We’ve reached our first investment target to start digging our B4RN network, but we still need much more investment to complete our project.
Invest for shares
The bulk of investment in Rathmell, Wigglesworth (and Giggleswick, west of the A65)’s B4RN scheme will be in the form of shares. Although investment is handled by B4RN itself rather than by us, any money put into B4RN in this way can be allocated specifically to our local project.
Shares are an investment; not only do they support the costs of the project itself, but they have tax advantages and will pay a good return.
The best source of up-to-date information about investment in B4RN shares is their own website, in particular the page https://b4rn.org.uk/resources/, where you can find
- full details of B4RN’s share scheme in their the shareholder prospectus
- share application forms to fill out.
But an overview of the share scheme is as follows:
- Minimum shareholding £100 / maximum £100,000.
- All shareholders are members of B4RN. One member one vote.
- Shares must be held for a minimum of 3 years.
- Individual investors can claim 30% tax relief (HMRC Enterprise Investment Scheme – see gov.uk).
- After year 3, interest of 5% can be paid out or reinvested.
- Some shareholders choose to invest £1,500 and claim free connection worth £150.
- Shares can only ever be sold back to B4RN at £1 each.
Loan money to B4RN
B4RN sometimes accept 5 year loans from the community, paying 4% interest. For full details please see B4RN’s loan prospectus on their Resources page.